Age of Preparation & Readiness
- Preparation for First Holy Communion and Reconciliation traditionally occurs in second grade for children who are already Baptized Catholic.
- For children older than second grade, the preparation is the same.
- Readiness for each sacrament is determined by the parent (see below for guides)
RECONCILIATION READINESS (PDF)
HOLY COMMUNION READINESS (PDF)
Preparation at St. Anne is done in a retreat format, with parent formation and a retreat component. Preparation for each sacrament follows the same basic format:
- Families register for sacramental preparation and pay applicable preparation fees.
- Children attend religious education sessions or Catholic school (ongoing).
- Parents attend an information session on the preparation process.
- Parents attend workshops, scheduled throughout the year, using at-home materials to reinforce workshop information.
- Parents and children participate in a retreat experience.
- If readiness is discerned, the sacrament is celebrated.
Religious Education Requirement
- Sacramental preparation is done in addition to, and separate from religious education.
- All children preparing for sacraments must be enrolled in and participating in either parish religious education, or attending a Catholic school.